Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, November 16, 2007

Our first experience with a sick baby...

Sweet Baby Boy...

For the past few days, Conner's had a runny nose and oozing eyes along with a small cough. We've been using the bulb thing (which for Conner is about equal to having a shot!) and wiping his eyes with a warm rag. He never got a fever, so I just figured it would run its course. Well, yesterday Conner and I were supposed to meet with a real estate agent who was going to take us to several homes, so I let Conner sleep until the very minute I had to get him up to get ready. He seemed to be doing better! I got him up, and as I was running some water on a rag to wipe his eyes, he threw up all over me, the counter, the floor, and himself. In the past, when Conner would have issues with spit up, I would ask my mom, "Do you think it could be throw up?" She would always say, "You'll know if it's throw up." Well, there was no doubt in my mind. At this point, I was still just going to proceed with our regular schedule and hope that it was a one time thing. He wasn't very interested in his breakfast...total shock, so I knew something was up. After breakfast, he threw up again! He gave me quite a scare to say the least, so I decided to call and cancel our appointment with Mrs. Susan and schedule one with the pediatrician. He still didn't have fever, but I wanted to play it safe anyway.

Our doctor was booked up so we saw Dr. Miller at 11: 30AM. There were several kids and babies in the waiting area. We had to sit in the SICK side instead of the well baby one...8(
Conner didn't act sick at all and was interacting (from a healthy distance) with all the children...particularly a sweet little girl. When they called his name and we walked up to the nurse, Conner was smiling at as many people that he could make eye contact with. This one mom started laughing and said, "Look at that sweet baby smiling at everyone!" Of course, that made this momma PROUD!!
Although Conner doesn't seem to be phased by any of this, it still breaks my heart and it's hard knowing he's not 100% healthy!
The doctor said that Conner had an upper respiratory infection...which just had to run its course. She told us that the vomiting was probably due to all of the drainage and gave us some medicine to help clear it up more quickly.
His temperature was 97...yes!! I don't know what I'm gonna do when my little baby has a fever. His weight was 17lbs 6ounces with clothes...8) Ears looked great!! (I was afraid of the ears since some of my friends' babies are battling with infections.)
When we got home I made sure he got plenty of rest and simplified his food intake. I nursed him around 5:00 and hoped that his little tummy could handle it...I was wrong, he threw up two more times. I then called David and told him to bring home some Pedialyte to prevent dehydration. Hopefully, Conner would sip on it and keep it down. He drank about 3 ounces of the Pedialyte, and I nursed him around 8:30, but instead of going about our nightly routine, I kept him up. He took it easy on his play pallet so that the food would "hopefully" stay down...it did!! I nursed him a little bit more at 10:00, gave him a bath, and put him to bed. I just knew that he would get up during the night considering that he'd thrown up four times and he didn't have solid foods that day...I was wrong again! He slept until almost 8:00AM. I nursed him...he went back down and then I nursed him again around 11:00. So far, no vomiting today BUT there have been two FULL yucky diapers!! Throughout the day, Conner's been sipping on Pedialyte along with breast feeding. We're staying away from solids and formula. I told David last night that I had a feeling that the vomiting had nothing to do with the drainage but instead was a little virus...I'm convinced now after its shifted to messy diapers. (Notice how I'm dodging that not so glorious term!)
Please pray that all of this passes soon and that Conner gets to feeling 100% better!!!8)
We're getting lots of rest and TLC!!!!8)

2 comments:

Tate Family said...

Bless his heart. Seems like several of us have sick babies. :( Hugs and prayers for Conner!!

Kevin, Kara, Kolton, & Kannon said...

Yes, we are in the sick boat also. Except Kolton tested positive for RSV yesterday - yuck! Conner looks so precious resting. Hope you all get some rest and Conner feels better soon!

Happy Thanksgiving! We have so much to be thankful for!