Yesterday was our first day to send Conner to the nursery. We've been letting him sit with us in the services, but I eventually would end up watching the service through the monitors in the nursing room. Well, we took Conner to the nursery yesterday, and we survived! When we got to the nursery, we filled out some papers and let the sweet ladies take over. Conner was asleep from the car ride, so the lady left him in his car seat and said, "Okay, we'll page you if we need to." David and I went to the church and really enjoyed it. I thought that I would be worried the whole time, but I knew that he was in great hands! I did make sure that David could feel the pager! 8) When we picked him up, Mrs. Candi was holding him. She said that he woke up but then fell asleep in her arms. Oh, and another lady said that he was so precious...makes mommy smile!!
THE REST OF THE STORY....
After church, we went to David's grandma's house for lunch but ended up staying until around 4:45PM. We had just enough time to go home and rest/refresh for 30 minutes before having to go back to church for the night service. This was also our first Sunday to make both AM/PM services...we still have to somehow go to the service, Sunday school, and get me back in the choir...just a little overwhelming. We are literally taking BABY steps! Anyway, since I am breast feeding, I had to try to make the feeding schedule work. When we arrived to the nursery, he was fast asleep. (He did not get to sleep at grandma's with all the constant love and attention.) So get this....I decide to wake him so that he could eat since feeding time was going to be in the middle of the service. BIG MISTAKE...oops, David told me that "mistake" sounds negative, so, BIG LEARNING EXPERIENCE!! You see, my boy likes to eat, but he was in a deep sleep before I interrupted him. When he is extremely tired/hungry he sometimes forgets how to latch and gets frustrated. He got so upset and started to scream, so I gave him some formula to help him settle down. Then I took him back to the nursery. Mrs. Leanne was so nice and explained to me that her children had colic. Conner has had trouble with gas, but I don't believe that it's considered to be colic. If it is, it's a mild case. Well, I was so nervous leaving him because I know how he can be during one of these moods. I was hoping that he would just go to sleep. Well, I joined David in the service after my little episode at the nursery, and I told him what happened. He said, as David ALWAYS does, "It'll be fine." Dr. Fred preached a wonderful message about giving up situations to the Lord. It truly ministered to me in a deep way, so I know why we were supposed to be at church last night. We went to pick up Conner and he was crying! 8( Thankfully, Mrs. Leanne said that he had just started. He had not cried the entire time...nor had he slept!! We loaded our TIRED baby back into his car seat and went home. Bless his heart, Sundays have never been a day of rest for our family with church and choir. Plus we had spent all afternoon with family which we've learned our lesson about. Next time, we will definitely leave sooner so that we can all take a nap before going back to church. I learned two important things from yesterday's experience:
#1. I will never again wake Conner before taking him to nursery just because feeding time ends up being in the middle of the service. (That's why I will give them formula!)
#2. We will be careful how we spend the rest of our Sunday afternoons from now on.
The great news is that since we had a TIRED baby, we decided to put him BACK, yes, I said back into his crib. Conner had not been sleeping through the nights so it was hard for me to go into his room every time to feed or comfort. However, for the past three or four nights he's only gotten up once around 2:30 or 3:00, so we decided to try it again. We came home, ate supper, I fed Conner, gave him a bath, and put our little one to bed. (I skipped story time...he was way too tired.) We didn't hear from him until 3:00 this morning, so I went into his room to feed him and put him back down again. He woke up around 6:30AM!! I am SOOO proud of him for being so patient yesterday and sleeping the whole night in his crib by himself!! Overall, our first experience with the nursery was a success. Did we learn some things along the way? Of course, so next time should be even better!!!:)





1 comment:
I am so glad that overall it was well! It will get better everytime. And i am still learning things now with Eli...that I need to do or do not need to do. Being a mother is a wonderful experience full of ALOT of learning. As soon as you get one thing down, they are on to something else...and you just have to laugh!! i am so glad that Conner is teaching you alot :)
Post a Comment